Current:Home > MyA man is charged with 76 counts of murder in a deadly South African building fire last year -Capitatum
A man is charged with 76 counts of murder in a deadly South African building fire last year
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 04:12:32
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — A man was charged with 76 counts of murder and 86 counts of attempted murder on Thursday for allegedly causing a deadly fire at an apartment building in South Africa last year that was one of the country’s worst disasters.
Prosecutors said he made a written confession in which he admitted starting the nighttime fire that ripped through the five-story building in Johannesburg in August, killing 76 people and leaving dozens injured.
The suspect, Sithembiso Lawrence Mdlalose, was also charged with arson and was ordered to be kept in police custody until a hearing next month when his lawyer is expected to say if he will apply for bail.
He faces a possible sentence of life in prison. South Africa has no death penalty.
Mdlalose’s lawyer, Dumisani Mabunda, said he has received a copy of the confession and believes his client made it voluntarily.
Mdlalose appeared in the Johannesburg courtroom for Thursday’s hearing but didn’t enter a plea in response to the charges. He mostly spoke to his lawyer during the hearing.
Mabunda said Mdlalose had not yet indicated to him how he was going to plead in response to the charges.
Mdlalose was arrested on Tuesday after making a startling claim at a separate inquiry that he was responsible for the fire. That inquiry is looking into the causes of the fire and the failures in safety protocols that led to so many people dying. Mladalose was testifying as a resident of the building.
But he unexpectedly told the inquiry that he was a drug user and set the fire that night while trying to hide the body of a man he had killed in the basement of the building. He said he had strangled the man and then poured gasoline over his body and set it alight with a match on the instructions of a Tanzanian drug dealer who also lived in the building.
Prosecutors said Mdlalose’s confession at the inquiry could not be used in his trial because that ongoing inquiry is not a criminal proceeding.
They said he had since made a written confession in front of a judge and they had begun their own investigations.
The Aug. 31 fire happened at a building that was owned by the city of Johannesburg but had effectively been abandoned by authorities and was being run by illegal landlords who were charging people to live there.
Hundreds lived in the building, many of them in wooden shacks and other temporary structures strewn through the interior. People were living in the basement and in bathrooms, officials said.
Fire hoses and extinguishers had been removed and fire escapes were locked or chained closed, emergency responders said.
Many of the injured jumped out of windows and suffered broken limbs and backs, health officials said.
___
AP Africa news: https://apnews.com/hub/africa
veryGood! (449)
Related
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- 2 young children die after being swept away by fast-flowing California creek
- Three men sentenced to life in prison for killing family in Washington state
- You’ll Be Obsessed With Olivia Rodrigo’s Reaction to Fan Who Got A Misspelled Tattoo of Her Lyrics
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Attorney shot, killed after getting into fight with angry customer at Houston McDonald's: Reports
- How a Texas man is testing out-of-state abortions by asking a court to subpoena his ex-partner
- Dear E!, How Do I Dress Like a Minimalist? Here’s Your Guide to a Simple, Chic & Refined Wardrobe
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Remains found nearly 50 years ago in Arizona identified as a Vietnam veteran from Minnesota
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Shaquille O'Neal Reacts to Ex Shaunie Henderson Saying She's Not Sure She Ever Loved Him
- US weekly jobless claims hit highest level since August of 2023, though job market is still hot
- When do new episodes of 'Hacks' Season 3 come out? See full schedule, cast, where to watch
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- U.S. to empower asylum officials to reject more migrants earlier in process
- Victorinox says it's developing Swiss Army Knives without blades
- Judge indefinitely delays Trump classified documents trial
Recommendation
Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
Donna Kelce Shares What Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift Have in Common
Kelly Osbourne Looks Unrecognizable After Blonde Hair Transformation
Hy-Vee and Schnucks recall cream cheese spreads due to salmonella risk
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Frankie Valli granted 3-year restraining order from oldest son Francesco
Enrique Iglesias Reveals Anna Kournikova’s Reaction to Him Kissing Fans
Kendall Jenner Shares Why She’s Enjoying Her Kidless Freedom